Knitted Washcloths

Sunday, November 24, 2013


As I've been mentioning, I've picked up my knitting needles after having sworn off them for a while. I am not a patient person (although all the model building and technical drawing I'm doing in school is definitely forcing me to become better), and often get frustrated with complicated knitting patterns. Although after seeing this lady's impressive foray into sock making, I'm definitely tempted. Usually I want to knit after a long day as a way to turn my brain off, so I like to work on something I don't have to think about too much. I also prefer to knit while watching tv (can't feel guilty if I'm making something!), so whatever drama is happening on Downton Abbey usually takes precedent over which row I'm supposed to be purling. Lately I've been finding these washcloths to be the perfect project. Cotton yarn is super cheap, they are easily done during a tv episode, and require zombie level thinking power. I think they make great Christmas presents too, paired with a wooden brush or some nice soap. Am I the only one already thinking about Christmas? It seems like the only thing to do now that it is dark for what feels like all day. I've never written a knitting pattern before, but I'll give it a try in case it's helpful. There are also some good patterns here.

I used size 5 needles, and two different colours of cotton yarn at the same time. Cast on 30 stitches. Knit 2 x 2 rib stitch (2K, 2p) for five rows. Repeat ribbing for first and last 4 stitches of every row, continuing in stockinette stitching for a total of about 50 rows. Knit another four rows in 2 x 2 rib stitch and cast off.

10 comments:

  1. the double stranded yarn looks beautiful - what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lissa! It makes them a lot sturdier too, so it's a win/win.

      Delete
    2. Also, hope you got a laugh out of my attempt at writing in knitting lingo...

      Delete
    3. it was perfect! I totally want to try this once school is done.

      Delete
  2. How lovely these are! I am doing the same thing for family & in-laws this year, and giving with some handmade soap (NOT made by me!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! Yes, handmade soap is one of my favourite things to give - and get. Last year I gave these washcloths as gifts with soap that I had made and found it totally wasn't worth the time/expense!

      Delete
  3. These are so cute- such a nice idea! And anything yellow+white= AWESOME in my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the knitting master herself! Thank you! And yes, can't go wrong with yellow and white, it's true. I also made some in grey, because I can't help myself. I'm so bad with colour.

      Delete
  4. I love these, Elaina! I'm trying to pick up knitting again too, but I've been a bit lazy..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! I feel you! These are the perfect lazy knitting project - I promise!

      Delete

Fint & Dejlig All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger